Asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: What state has jurisdiction over a child support order in a divorce decree ?

My son just graduated high school. The divorce was in New Jersey in 2014. She resides in florida (6yrs) and I reside in Delaware (8yrs). My son was given an athletic scholarship to a school he will be dorming at in Georgia. I have seen that NJ law that a child could be supported up to 23, but florida law is different. I have been paying her direct the whole time. I told her that I wanted to be sure of my options before continuing support. She claims that she is going to take me to court for a contempt of support. I wanted to know if there is any legitimacy to her claim.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I suggest that you contact the attorney who handled your divorce in NJ. If you resolved your divorce and related matters with a Property or Marital Settlement Agreement. it may cover such an issue. Regardless. I believe that your first contact should be that lawyer or another NJ attorney experienced in family law. For reoasons unknown to me, your question went out to PA lawyers.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.