Placerville, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Mexico

Q: Mom died intestate. I'm assigned "estate" representative for myself and two siblings. Her bills exceed her funds. Help

How do I know who gets paid?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: There is a specific order in which bills of a decedent's estate get paid if there are not enough funds to pay them all. The probate attorney assisting you will be able to help you what 'class' each particular bill falls into and the order in which each 'class' of debt is paid. When you get to the last class for which there are available funds, those debts are typically paid pro rata.

While most states require the representative of an estate to have a lawyer, New Mexico does not. But like so many other tasks (e.g. rebuilding a car engine), it may be legal for you to represent yourself in a probate proceeding in New Mexico but you shouldn't attempt to do so unless you are thoroughly familiar with how to do it.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.