Fort Wayne, IN asked in Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: If car is registered in Indiana and was properly stickered does it become an illegal vehicle if the sticker is stolen?

I was parked on a street in City of FW. I was parked legally on the street. I received a ticket saying vehicle was illegal. The sticker was stolen and I was unaware of it. I have proof of registration. DMV told me the car was legal and saw registration online as paid. If plate was run it would show vehicle was legally registered. I submitted copies of registration to City FW. In my appeal. They say vehicle must have valid license plate visible otherwise it is illegal. I'm a victim of a crime and now the city is taking advantage of a crime committed against me to add money to their coffers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: Current registration stickers are stolen all the time, they are peeled off and put on another vehicle that isn't properly registered. You can protect yourself from this by cutting the sticker with a razor blade in a cross hatch pattern. Yes you were a victim of a crime and it is being used against you. The clerks you spoke to at the PD only see things one way. This case arises in the area of traffic tickets. You need to discuss with an attorney in your jurisdiction that specializes in this kind of law. Thank you for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.