Zimmerman, MN asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: after over 4 years of zero contact, can my child’s biological father demand that he sees her?

My daughter is almost 5.

Her father has not been involved besides about two weeks after child support was originally established. He spent a couple hours with her 3 times when she was 6 months old.

We had mediation at that time and we agreed to start out with a couple hours a few evenings a week but no over nights. He did that 3 times and then decided he wasn’t about it and haven’t heard from him since.

He has a history of domestic abuse and was extremely controlling and manipulative during our relationship and my fear is that he shows up randomly and wants to play games with my daughters head. She has no clue who he is and has a father figure in her life that would love to adopt her.

I’m worried if something ever happened to me she would be ripped from everyone she loves and handed over to him.

What are my rights and how can I protect her?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Yes, the father can seek parenting time. If you are unable to come to an agreement or choose to dig your heels in a judge will ultimately make the decision. It very unlikely a judge will not grant some parenting time. The judge will weigh numerous factors to decide upon a plan. Reasonable limitations can implemented.

Playing hardball is rarely a wise decision. Going it alone is also unwise. An emotionally charged parent rarely makes a good impression on a judge or others involved.

In order to ensure the best possible outcome, you need to consult with an attorney, at least in a limited role. Far too often, an individual leaves court disappointed because they weren’t properly prepared. A small investment will provide a polished response that you can rely upon to come to an agreement or structure your presentation to the judge (if needed.)

Limited-scope representation is when you and a lawyer agree that the lawyer will handle some parts of your case and you will handle others. This is different from more traditional arrangements between lawyers and clients where a lawyer is hired to provide legal services on all aspects of a case, from start to finish. Limited-scope representation is sometimes called “unbundled legal services” or “discrete task representation.”

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.