Oneonta, NY asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New York

Q: My mom past away and had no will or anything like that but had a bank account but it only has 2,000 how do i get it.

2,000 to 3,000 in the account I dont want to do probate for only that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie Lawston
Bonnie Lawston
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should first speak with the legal department. Some banks such as BOA, may allow an affidavit to be completed. Other banks may require the appointment of a fiduciary such as yourself by the Court to collect the funds. Due to the amount, it would be a small estate proceeding. You can contact the court for those forms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.