Cambridge, MN asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: brother spanked my kid, I don't spank, he knows it. It wasn't warranted, just in anger. I wasn't there. What do I do?

My kid was visiting her grandmother and my brother was there also. I don't want my kids around him period but he was there without my knowledge. My mother doesn't seem to be bothered by this but she also never had a problem hitting or screaming at me as a child either. I was in an abusive marriage and my kid witnessed violence and I am strongly opposed to spanking, its a well known fact. I am livid. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You could certainly contact law enforcement. You could apply for an OFP against your brother on behalf of your child. You could choose to keep your child away from your mother and brother. You have a multitude of options here. You just need to decide how you want to approach this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.