Brighton, CO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Colorado

Q: The mom refuses to reimburse school fees she is required to pay 50% for per the court order she signed

She signed the court order which states all required school fees will be reimbursed 50% to the party who paid. I bought the required supplied for my step daughter and now she is saying she didn't agree to buy the supplies so she refuses to reimburse even though she agreed when she signed the court order and these supplies are required. I contacted the DM assigned to our case and the DM said she cannot make her pay us back and asked if we can give her leeway and maybe alternate years that we buy supplies, so next year she will have to buy supplies. My concern is that this year's supplies are double what they will be next and what if she decides not to buy them next year. How can I make her pay us back and follow what she agreed to in the order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven  Visser
Steven Visser
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The DM does not have the authority to enforce court orders. You may want to consider either filing a motion to enforce the court orders, or you could possibly pursue contempt of court. As you are probably aware, going back to court can be costly and time consuming. You did not indicate the amount of the school supplies, so you have to decide if it is worth it to go back to court over that issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.