Westland, MI asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: I received a garnishment from a university stating that I owe 9k, & now it’s affecting my rent & I can’t afford it

They’re taking 25% with me only working 43 hours due to hours being cut, and I have bills that I cannot afford now. But I also do not know how I owe that much when I took out student loans through fasfa & parent plus loan to cover my expenses. How do I go about getting to lower it or take it out once a month, or even get rid of it? I know some creditors will even take half & it has been since 2016

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I suggest you request that the creditor stop the garnishment and allow you to sign up for a payment plan that you can afford. (They almost certainly won't agree to this, but it's worth the request). When they reject that idea, you may consider filing a motion for installment payments. If you Google "motion for installment payments Michigan" you will find the form necessary to file the motion with the Court. It's a $20 filing fee. Be advised that the form/motion is very detailed and requires you to disclose financial information, rent, income, employment, car payment, etc. Filing this form will get you in front of the judge so you can at least try to stop the garnishment and/or lower the financial burden. To be clear, the judge may reject your motion. The judge will base his/her decision on the financial information you provide.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.