Omaha, NE asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: If I want someone to leave my home (like a party guest, only there for the night, a few hours at most) , what can I do?

Imagine this guest as like someone who came to watch a football game or a barbecue guest. Let’s say that said person and I argue and I tell them to leave and they refuse. I repeat myself and they refuse again , now becoming aggressive to me. What is my legal right to defend myself and also make them leave?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If you engage with the person physically, you may be charged with assault. If a visitor has overstayed their welcome and refuses to leave, you can call law enforcement. Often law enforcement can convince the person to leave. If not, charges such as trespassing, distrubing the peace, etc. are possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.