Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: My granddaughters by court order have to spend there summers in California with there father. Can they refuse?

They have been going to California for about seven years now. They are 17 and 13 years old and don't want to spend the whole summer there. Is there anything we can do to help them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The girls' wishes should be considered, but it isn't their decision. The parents will need to modify the custody order to reflect any changes. If an agreement can be reached it should be fairly simple for an attorney.

Refusal to comply with the current is a violation, regardless of what the girls want.

In order to ensure the best possible schedule, the legal guardian needs to consult with an attorney, at least in a limited role. Perhaps an agreement can be reached. Far too often, an individual leaves court disappointed because they weren’t properly prepared.

Limited-scope representation is when you and a lawyer agree that the lawyer will handle some parts of your case and you will handle others. This is different from more traditional arrangements between lawyers and clients where a lawyer is hired to provide legal services on all aspects of a case, from start to finish. Limited-scope representation is sometimes called “unbundled legal services” or “discrete task representation.”

I am licensed in Minnesota and California.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.