Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: My granddaughters by court order have to spend there summers in California with there father. Can they refuse?

They have been going to California for about seven years now. They are 17 and 13 years old and don't want to spend the whole summer there. Is there anything we can do to help them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It really depends on the facts of the case and how parenting time could be restructured. It is very possible that ending summered in California would reduce parenting time enough that the court would consider it a modification of custody, which would likely necessitate showing endangerment.

That said, at age 17, the child’s wishes carry a fair amount of weight (not so much for the 13-year-old). It may be possible to at least reduce the time in CA, but would depend on the specifics and whether the court can be convinced that doing so would be in the children’s best interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.