Boulder, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Parenting time interference law in Colorado?

Is it parenting time interference if the child's mother schedules activities during the father's parenting time? i.e. The child will be away with the mother on a camping trip during the father's parenting time. The mother already knows that the father is unable to take the child other days of the week to make up those days.

Unfortunately, things have not improved after the mother told the father that the 7-year-old was allowed to refuse father's parenting time at the last parenting time exchange with civil standby. If the mother continues to schedule activities during the father's parenting time, would filing a Motion Concerning Parenting Time Disputes against the mother help address this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jandi Keum
Jandi Keum
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Hi, based on the information provided, scheduling activities during the father's court-ordered parenting time without his consent and knowledge can be considered parenting time interference. This interference could be a violation of the court-ordered custody agreement or parenting plan.

If the mother is intentionally scheduling activities during the father's parenting time and is not cooperating to find suitable alternatives or makeup time, filing a Motion Concerning Parenting Time Disputes might be an appropriate step to address this issue.

When filing the motion, the father would be asking the court to enforce the existing custody order and prevent the mother from interfering with his parenting time. He would need to present evidence of the interference, such as communication records or witness statements, to support his case.

Ultimately, the court will make a decision based on the best interests of the child and may order the mother to adhere to the parenting schedule or provide make-up time for the father if the parenting time has been missed due to interference.

Family law is complex, and the specifics of how courts handle parenting time disputes can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of the case. It would be a good idea to consult with a family law attorney who can provide guidance and representation tailored to the specific situation and applicable laws in your area. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights as a parent in this difficult situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.