Bryan, TX asked in Probate for Louisiana

Q: My husband inherited land in Acadia Parish (4th generation), which he left to his only child in his probated will.

I am the executor of my husband’s will. I am having difficulty getting the land transferred into the legal heirs name. I need advice on how to get this resolved. I have talked to the Acadia Parish Tax Office to no avail.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If your husband had a will, it will need to be probated to have the land transferred. This can be done by way of a small succession affidavit, if his estate is valued at less than $125,000, or by filing a petition for probate with the court. An attorney experienced in successions law can give you advice on your best route to take and the cost for doing so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.