Little Rock, AR asked in Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: My wife and I were divorced 15 years ago, but we never did the property division. She now wants to do that.

When she left, we had a mortgage with very little equity built up in the house. The house is titled in both of our names. Since the divorce I have paid the house off. I have also paid for the insurance, repairs, maintenance, and taxes. I have meticulous records of all I have paid on the house since the divorce. Of course now that she knows the house is paid off, she wants to do the property division. Can she take half of the value of my house? Or will a judge take all of the above into consideration? Is she entitled to half of the equity at the point when she left, or half of its current value? Would she be liable for half of the mortgage at the time she left? Or did I just pay off her half of the mortgage and now I am out of luck? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need legal counsel to make sure your rights are protected and as such I recommend that you contact some community property lawyers in your area, set up consults and then sit down with them and specifically discuss your situation-----while the basic rule is 1/2 and 1/2, there are also reimbursement claims which based on your post would favor you. Geaux talk to some lawyers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.