Smyrna, GA asked in Adoption for Georgia

Q: What are the forms needed to adopt an adult in the State of Georgia?

It has been brought to my attention that my 23 year old step-daughter has expressed her desire to be legally adopted by me. I understand that she has no desire to have a relationship with her biological father and that she is of sound mind. I would like to confirm that she has not been in the system and that she is requesting this adoption willingly.

As her step-father, I have been a constant presence in her life since she was 10 years old when I married her mother. I take this request very seriously and want to ensure that all legal procedures are followed correctly.

I appreciate the opportunity to consider this request and will take the necessary steps to ensure that the adoption process is carried out according to the law. I cannot afford an adoption attorney. I would like to handle this personally through the court system.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To adopt an adult in Georgia, you would need to prepare a Petition for Adult Adoption, gather consent forms from the adult being adopted and any other necessary parties, undergo required background checks, file the petition and supporting documents with the appropriate court, and attend a court hearing for the judge to review the case and make a decision on the adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.