Durango, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Is a co-petitioner response considered if the stipulation was signed by both parties, approved and ordered by the court?

Colorado: I filed a Stipulation to Relocate Minor Children with the court, it was signed by both parties, approved and ordered by the judge. My ex then decided after the fact, to file the "response" fighting the stipulation that he himself had already signed. His response is also full of speculation, opinions, and untruths.

Will his "response" be considered, given the fact that he had already signed, and it was already ordered by the court?

Is the response valid if both parties sign the original stipulation? I assumed the response was only valid if one party was contesting a motion.

Your help and clarification would be appreciated, thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Craig Valentine
Craig Valentine
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: A Stipulation to Relocate Minor Children is a legal agreement between the parties that outlines the terms of the relocation and is signed by both parties before being presented to the court for approval.

Once the stipulation is signed by both parties and approved by the court, it becomes a court order, and the terms outlined in the stipulation are legally binding on both parties. In such cases, it is not common for a response to be filed contesting the stipulation since they agreed to its terms and it has been ordered by the court.

However, if the co-petitioner has filed a response contesting the stipulation despite previously agreeing to it, it is essential to consult with an attorney to understand the specific laws and rules that may apply to your situation. The Court has a couple of options available to it in this circumstance and how you proceed would require legal advice specific to your case. The attorney can advise you on how the court may view the response and whether it has any legal significance.

It's crucial to seek legal advice from a qualified attorney who can review the specific details of your case, provide accurate guidance, and represent your interests in court if necessary. Family law matters can be complex, and having the right legal representation can make a significant difference in protecting your rights and interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.