Wichita, KS asked in Personal Injury for Iowa

Q: What do I do when I've been served court papers for a negligence claim for an accident I wasn't in?

There is 2 others in my town that have same exact name. One is my mother and then another woman I don't know.

My mother wasn't in an accident and I don't know anything about an accident.

The address on the papers show the defendants address to be one that is not mine.

I have never been in an accident and my vehicle which I have full coverage insurance on was not in an accident either.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Iowa attorney could advise best, but it looks like you posted your question last week and it remains open - and this is something you probably want to address promptly to avoid unnecessary legal troubles. You could call the law firm to let them know there is a case of mistaken identity here. It's possible they hadn't verified the information in the summons and complaint. Hopefully, they should correct their records and be appreciative that you brought this to their attention. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.