Chatsworth, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I was arrested for a crime and got my court date a few days ago court papers have different charges. Why?

Was arrested for burglary and prowling then later possession with intent was added. Court papers state theft by taking and trespassing nothing on possession I don’t understand. I cannot afford a attorney

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony Matthews
Anthony Matthews
  • Cumming, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Regarding the charges themselves, a District Attorney has the right to dismiss, modify, or upgrade charges based upon his/her evaluation of the case. Bottom line, they do not have to do what the police arrest you for.

Felony charges have the potential for serious prison time, so it is really important for you to get an attorney as soon as possible. If you cannot afford an attorney, the State of Georgia must provide one to your at no cost in a criminal case. Contact the Public Defender's office in your jurisdiction and fill out an application for representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.