Bella Vista, AR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: What documentation should I begin keeping/making to help me in a sole custody case? Not ready to reatain an attorney yet

I live in the State of Arkansas where it's now automatically joint custody. My husband is verbally and emotionally abusive to me and I am fearful it's going to trickle down onto our (adopted) son.

To set myself up for the best chance at getting sole custody of our (adopted) son - what events should I document? Should I take recordings of his screaming and beraiting me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To help in a sole custody case, consider documenting incidents of abuse with dates, times, and descriptions. Save written communication that demonstrates abusive behavior. If there are witnesses, gather their contact information. Document any negative impact on the child's well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.