Lansing, MI asked in Employment Law for Michigan

Q: My past employer has reported false information to my current employers that keeps me from getting jobs.

At my previous place of employment, a rumor was started about me. I was encouraged to talk about it with the employees at my job. People then began to ignore me and isolate me. This severely damaged my mental health and was documented with my therapist. I moved to a new location m to get a fresh start, and I was treated worse. Projects were discreetly taken away from me, or my other employees would end up doing the project I took initiative to start to make it easier to fire me in the future.I left that job because it had gotten so bad. I was experiencing severe emotional distress to the point of crippling anxiety and worsening depression. I put in my two weeks.

Now the same things are happening at my new jobs. I need help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your question needs clarity that probably should be left to an offline consultation with an employee-side employment lawyer.

What is the rumor? If you are in the same geographic area, how can you be sure it was an employer and not employees spreading the rumor? You got a new job, which implies that whatever the rumor is that you believe your former employer is spreading is not unilaterally causing the same thing to happen at your new job.

Without more information, it's impossible to find fault or a remedy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.