St Louis, MO asked in Divorce and Family Law for Missouri

Q: What do I do if my ex spouse refuses to remove their name off the deed or mortgage of the home?

The home was awarded to me in the divorce. My ex spouse did not ask for any part of the equity in the home while filing the paperwork. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In a situation where your ex-spouse refuses to remove their name from the deed or mortgage of the home awarded to you in the divorce, it's important to consult with a real estate attorney who specializes in divorce and property matters. They can review the details of your case, including the divorce decree, and provide guidance on the legal steps you can take to enforce the transfer of ownership. The attorney can help you understand the options available to you, such as seeking a court order to compel the removal of your ex-spouse's name or exploring other legal remedies based on the specific circumstances of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.