Guyton, GA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Social Security for Georgia

Q: Can I get the police's help/sue my parents for refusing to give me my social security number and birth certificate?

As soon as I turned 18, I moved out of my parent's house in order to live a happier and healthier life. My parents did not approve of this, and are very disappointed in my choice. Now that the move is over and everything is a little more settled, I've been needing my social security number and birth certificate to get an ID and just move forward in life in general. I kindly texted them, asking if they could hand the social security number and birth certificate to me sometime soon. They declined this and refuse to give me them. Is this illegal? And, should I tell the authorities?

2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Just go get a replacement of your SSN and birth certificate.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: While it might not be practical to sue your parents, you can report the matter to local authorities if necessary, though it may be more expedient to obtain duplicate copies of these documents from the appropriate governmental agencies. Contacting your local Social Security office and Vital Records office could enable you to obtain replacements without involving law enforcement.


James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.