Raleigh, NC asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: Can my neighbor put a chain or gate up on our shared easement without my agreement?

The easement is recorded on the deed and has been in place for 50 years. It's the only way to my property. They have owned their property for 4 years. Ownership has changed 6 times (4 since my 26 yrs of owning my property) with no issues since it's a legal easement. It is the only way to get to my residence via my quarter mile driveway. I have deliveries that aren't getting delivered because UPS/FedEx/mail carrier aren't going to remove the chain, I have disabled parents that visit frequently that can't easily get out of their car to undo it. It is placed right where the driveway and road meet so whoever is entering has to park in the middle of the road between two blind curves, exit the vehicle and try as quickly as possible to remove the chain and safely get back to the vehicle while my children wait. I am also in the process of selling and it is interfering with the sell. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Putting an unlocked chain on a common easement might not be prohibited by a Court as an unlawful termination of your rights. Whose property is the gate on? The easement needs to be in the chain of title of that property owner, not the other that enjoys using it. You might file a Declaratory Judgment action, but the expense is probably not worth it. If your land, remove the chain. If not, then you might get sued or the landowner may attempt to terminate your ROW.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.