Lake Charles, LA asked in Probate for Louisiana

Q: I was bequeathed a home in Louisiana which is cross-collateralized with property not left to me. How do I proceed?

I've been paying the mortgage. The property that was not willed to me was not addressed in the will at all. The estate is partially testate/intestate. The family refuses to pay anything on the mortgage. If I payout the entire mortgage will I then own all of the land used as collateral ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: I would recommend drafting quit claim deeds from each of the other legatees and all heirs of the Decedent. They should convey under any and all sources of title, and very detailed derivation of title clauses should explain this. Hire a competent LA attorney to draft those deeds and to ask each to convey or help pay the mortgage note and taxes. You can also offer to sign over title to other items of collateral to the ones wanting ownership. Again, hire a LA lawyer now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.