Portland, ME asked in Foreclosure and Probate for Maine

Q: My mother passed away and left the house with a reverse mortgage. Do I have do deal with it or can I walk away.

There is no will. A friend of hers had power of attorney and took care of her bills. The last of her bank account was used to cremate her and there are no liquid assets. There is another person still living in the house that doesn't seem motivated to move out that had lived there for free in exchange for keeping up the house and cooking. We haven't been able to easily get in the house and don't have a key. Can we step back from this situation and let it foreclose without being held responsible for anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Yes, you can step back and do nothing. The lender will foreclose and acquire the house and the heirs will have no personal responsibility to pay the reverse mortgage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.