Lincoln, NE asked in Family Law for Nebraska

Q: If an 18 year old in Nebraska moves out of the parents home, are the parents required to financially support them?

18 y.o. expects parents to pay for an apartment for them.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Nebraska, as in many states, the age of majority is 19, which means that at 18, a person is considered an adult and legally responsible for themselves. Generally, once a child reaches the age of majority, parents are no longer legally obligated to financially support them.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: In Nebraska, the age of majority is 19 years old. Thus, a 18 year old is still subject to the parent's rules and decisions and the parents continue to have a duty to support.

However, Nebraska statute section 43-2101, specifically states that an 18 year old is legally responsible for a lease that the 18 year old enters into.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.