Atlanta, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can I stop CS wage assignment if my arrears are up to date?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Usually the custodial parent has the right to the the income deduction order, especially if there was an arrearage at some point. So it's unlikely that you can unilaterally stop the automatic payments if you have an ongoing current child support obligation.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If there is an Income Deduction Order that has been started the only way it will be stopped is by order of the court, or if you leave that place of employment. As long as you owe money and they are aware of your employer, they can garnish your wages. Now, if you were to work out an agreement with the Division of Child Support Services, a consent order could set up a payment plan that you could do outside of a wage garnishment. But I would advise you to obtain a lawyer to try and work out a settlement for the amount owed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.