Denver, CO asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Florida

Q: Can you help an inmate in Fl. who was attacked and his eyes seriously injured?

He was attacked while in prison and needed help but he was left in a cell for 3 days before getting taken to a hospital, so lost sight in one eye and other one injured. He has no money or resources and no family. If it matters, he is listed as white, but nearly half Cherokee. His crimes were burglary and drugs. I wrote to him for 17 years as a Christian penfriend. I was the only person he could contact. He desperately needs help but I am not able to do much on my own.Can you help him?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Try contacting one or both of these organizations: (1) Human Rights Defense Center - see (2) Florida Justice Institute - see

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The US Supreme Court has held that a plaintiff has to prove that the prison acted with deliberate indifference in delaying medical treatment and that that delay caused the medical injury that would not have occurred in the absence of the delay. Did your friend actually lose his eyesight 100%? Did the Doctor tell your friend his eyesight could have been saved if he was treated immediately? These and other pressing questions would need to be explored. Personal injury lawyers take these cases on contingency fee, which means you don’t pay anything unless you win the case. We are not allowed to solicit anyone’s case on here, but your friend can research our backgrounds and reach out to one of us. Thank you. Please excuse any typos, as I am dictating this into a microphone device.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.