Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: How much do I have to do for cps

So we just had a child and on the 2nd day cps said they got a call about possible drug use so we had them come to our hone do a visit then since the allegations were about drugs we both gave them clean uas now they want more I'm telling my wife to tell them no but she is so uptight she things they will come get our newborn I keep telling her that's not going to happen what do I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rebecca Pescador
Rebecca Pescador
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Westminster, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Get legal counsel to represent you and do it quickly. CPS has a great deal of power and they could potentially come and remove the child if the allege a danger to the child. Often, a little cooperation can get you through this without serious legal proceedings. Your wife is not wrong in that regard. That said, it doesn't always work out that way.

An experienced attorney can help you look at what basis they are using to ask for drug tests and help you analyze your best path forward. While you certainly have the right to refuse and make them file a court case first, that is not necessarily what is going to be best for your family. Legal counsel can help you decide which path is best in your particular situation. This is a very serious situation and should be addressed as such. The wrong choice could potentially lead to catastrophic results.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.