Phoenixville, PA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My divorce was filed in Potter county by an attorney, I reside in chester My husband won’t sign or acknowledge, what do

I do next. I haven’t had any contacts with him in months. He has not appeared at any spousal or child support hearings

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karen  Ulmer
Karen Ulmer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If Potter County requires that he acknowledge and submit to jurisdiction (most likely) then you will need to transfer the action (there is a filing fee) to Chester County and then proceed in the County where you both reside as he is already subject to jurisdiction in Chester County. You can then have him served and when it is more than a year separated, you do not need him to sign anything as long as you can prove he was served the documents needed on the divorce and you know how to locate him. It should go through without a Court hearing but it will cost more since you need to pay filing fees in Chester, have it transferred to Chester and reserved, etc.

Kathryn Hilbush agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.