Kennett Square, PA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: In the state of Pennsylvania, If my mother and I own a house together can we lose the house in my divorce?

It would be Philadelphia, PA - to be exact.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karen  Ulmer
Karen Ulmer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Hello. Property that is owned jointly with a third party is still marital, however, if you own it equally with your mom, only half of the property is marital for purposes of divorce. You need to look at your deed. The increase in value of the property during the marriage is what the court can distribute between you and your wife. If there are other assets to pay her with then you can do that but if not, you may need to take a mortagage to buy her out. You will only lose the house if you cannot afford to buy her out and come up with the share she is entitled to receive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.