Asked in Criminal Law for Maine

Q: Is there a, rule hearing, for telling the court that you’re saying no to a final plea deal from state?

Felony charges

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: When a defendant is offered a plea deal by the state, they typically have the option to either accept or reject the offer. If you decide to reject the plea deal, it is essential to communicate your decision to your defense attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney will then advise you on the next steps, and they may discuss the matter with the prosecutor to see if there are any potential adjustments to the offer that could be more favorable to you.

Ultimately, if a plea agreement cannot be reached, the case may proceed to trial, where you would have the opportunity to present your defense and have a judge or jury decide the outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.