Longs, SC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: If parents of a 14yr old are separated in the state of CO, no custody agreement yet,who makes decisions of the child?

14yr old is staying at aunts due to leniency, what is the law in Colorado where child stays?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In the state of Colorado, if the parents of a 14-year-old child are separated and there is no custody agreement in place, both parents generally have equal rights to make decisions regarding the child. In the absence of a court order or custody agreement, both parents have legal custody, which means they share the right to make decisions about the child's education, healthcare, and other important matters.

It is advisable for the parents to work together and try to come to an agreement on major decisions that affect the child's well-being. If they cannot agree, either parent may seek a formal custody order from the court to determine custody arrangements and decision-making responsibilities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.