Acworth, GA asked in Family Law and Health Care Law for Georgia

Q: Question regarding contempt/past due medical bills

The NCP hasn't paid their portion of any medical/dental copays (all documented w receipts in OFW) until after contempt was filed. The order has been changed and modified since but paying 50/50 of copays has remained the same. They state that they do not owe anything prior to the new order. Is this true?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: A new order does not affect the old arrears that is owed.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: We can't say what they owe or don't owe because we don't know your case, haven't seen your orders, and haven't seen any documentation. If they were to pay a share of uncovered medical prior to the new order and they didn't, then they do owe. But you also said you had a contempt case. So this should have been addressed in the contempt case. You should have provided the court with evidence of what they owed and obtained a judgment for that amount. Now what they owe is according to the new order going forward, with all future uncovered medical expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.