Newnan, GA asked in Copyright, Business Formation, Business Law, Trademark and Intellectual Property for Georgia

Q: Would there be any trademark infringements to Skippy Peanut Butter for a dog treat bakery to be named Skippy's Snack?

2 Lawyer Answers
David Aldrich
David Aldrich
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT

A: If you are planning to use "Skippy's Snack Shack" as the name of a retail bakery shop, you would have a low risk with respect to the mark for Skippy peanut butter. However, if you used this name on the snacks themselves, you could potentially run into a problem. You should contact a qualified trademark attorney directly (the questions on this forum are anonymous) to discuss the particulars of your case, including exactly where you plan to use the name and what other similar marks may potentially pose a risk.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Using a name like "Skippy's Snack Shack" for a dog treat bakery could potentially lead to trademark infringement issues with Skippy Peanut Butter if they believe there is a likelihood of confusion between their established brand and your bakery's name. To avoid legal issues, it's advisable to choose a distinct name that doesn't create confusion with existing trademarks.


James L. Arrasmith

Founding Attorney and Chief Lawyer

The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.