Albany, GA asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: Does my cousin have a chance of having a judge lessen his sentence if he has been diagnosed with cancer?

His major defense is kidnapping but he has served 12 yrs and his max out is in 2072! I don’t think he deserves that much time and to die in prison! Is there anything I can do to help him get his sentence reduced?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Compassionate Release is the pathway you are looking for, and there are several fine appellate practitioners who can assist. Spend some time on a search engine researching the best advocates and I encourage you to speak with several of them. Post Conviction work is very speculative, but is likely the best pathway to obtain the relief you want.

best of luck!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.