Savannah, TN asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Tennessee

Q: I was served a summons last Wednesday from 2004 for a $43 dollar check was the statue of limitations not up?

I was arrested according to Tennessee code section 40-6-206 says for a misdemeanor 5 years to serve and I told them that at the county court house here and they said they just work there even the sheriff that booked me said it was a illegal arrest i need some help please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If it was initiated within 1 year of the offense, then charge is probably timely. Cheapest, easiest action is to bring cash to Court. If no victim appears, ask to dismiss. If victim there, ask DA to make restitution, costs, and get it Diverted, Dismissed, and then Expunge it. Might hire an attorney to handle it differently. Do not get a permanent conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.