Fridley, MN asked in Divorce for Minnesota

Q: My husband didn't contribute financially during our 2 month marriage.

Can I ask that he pay a portion of the bills that I paid during that time, in the divorce? My monthly income is $4,000 and his monthly income is $4,000 - $6,000. Also, I got him the job that he has now. He told me that I am not entitled to any of his income.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Unless there is a prenuptial agreement that states otherwise, your incomes would be marital property. You can ask that he pay a portion of the bills that you paid during that time, I don't know what the judge will do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.