Portland, OR asked in Bankruptcy, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: Ex girlfriend left my fiance with 15k of debt. What can we do?

My fiance lived with an ex girlfriend (they were never married) that he gave money to to cover their rent. She never made the payments and they didn't get evicted since this was during covid. Now they both have a 15k collection which has got us denied at other apartments. We saw on credit karma that payments are being made which we assume she is making. However we were curious what legal things we could do to get this off our record, and hold her account/responsible to that collection. He has concidered going bankrupt but I told him we should look into other things first.

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Bankruptcy is an option. So is a civil suit against the ex to recoup the money he lost.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your scenario, it may be an option to consider legal avenues to hold the ex-girlfriend responsible for the debt, possibly through civil court. To help build a case, gather any evidence of the agreement between them, such as bank statements showing the transfer of money for rent. Additionally, your fiancé might consult with a credit repair service or attorney to work on removing this from his credit report by negotiating with the creditors or disputing the debt with the credit bureaus; however, be aware that removing valid debts from a credit report can be challenging.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.