Coldwater, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: How to get DNA test after paternity established

Im trying to help a friend with his situation. He has a 12 yr old daughter and has paid support this whole time. She was conceived days before he was incarcerated for a yr in jail. I don't know the exact reasoning but his ex never let him see his daughter and he never tried to push it until now. But now he is questioning if he is the biological father cuz now friends are finally coming to him saying good chance he's not and she got pregnant while he was in jj wil. Even tho he is on the birth certificate, is there a way to get a court order paternity test done since now he is questioning if she is his?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: He's going to need more than speculation, and with the amount of time that has passed, he arguably doesn't have a legal right to contest paternity.

Best case scenario would be through an admission and a stipulated motion between him, the mother, and the actual father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.