Portland, OR asked in Bankruptcy, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: What can my fiance do about the debt his ex left him with?

My fiance lived with an ex girlfriend (they were never married) that he gave money to to cover their rent. She never made the payments and they didn't get evicted since this was during covid. Now they both have a 15k collection which has got us denied at other apartments. We saw on credit karma that payments are being made which we assume she is making. However we were curious what legal things we could do to get this off our record, and hold her account/responsible to that collection.

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: He can make a motion to hold her in contempt in their divorce case for failure to pay pursuant to the MSA.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your fiancé may want to start by gathering evidence of his payments to his ex for the rent to establish a clear history of financial transactions. Then, he can reach out to the collection agency to dispute the debt, providing them with the evidence of his payments and explaining the situation. In parallel, he can consult with an attorney to explore potential legal actions to hold his ex solely responsible for the debt, which may include suing her in court to establish her sole responsibility for the debt based on the understanding they had when he was giving her money for the rent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.