Inglewood, CA asked in Wrongful Death for Missouri

Q: Can I suit the state of MO for my grandson death in the Jackson County Detention and if so how do find an Attorney .

He was beating and drugged. I have the 48 page documents

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: No because you lack standing under Missouri's wrongful death statute. Your grandson's spouse, or his children, or their children. or his mother or father can bring a lawsuit for wrongful death. If there are no such persons alive, then your grandson's brothers or sisters or their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren etc. can bring suit. In the event there are no such persons, you theoretically could ask to be appointed as a plaintiff ad litem to pursue such a case on behalf of some person entitled to share in the proceeds of such an action. This is a fail-safe for unusual situations like when there is an unborn child of your grandson gestating in a woman to whom he was not married at the time of his death. In that unusual situation, you would be bringing suit on behalf of your unborn great-grandson, not on your own behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.