Brunswick, GA asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Georgia

Q: If my drivers license was suspended in Washington state, and I have moved to Southern Georgia 6 years ago. I have tryed

To obtain a license here. Yet could not. I understand that Washington has band me from driving within it's state borders. Yet they say because of this I am not allowed to get a license here. How dose Washington get to tell georgia what they can and can't do? I understand that if I'm caught in Washington driving and I get caught, I will pay the consequences. So if this be the case if im from Washington where cannabis is legal. still a resident of the state never have got my ID in Georgia still have mine from Washington does that mean I'm legal to smoke cannabis in a state that it's illegal in because Washington says it's okay for me to do that up there or is it still illegal for me to do it down here.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Glenn T. Stern
Glenn T. Stern pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: 1. You're not allowed to get a license in Georgia if your privileges have been taken away from you in a different state. Georgia checks the NDR (national drivers registry) before issuing a license to anybody in the state.

Your cannabis rights from Washington allow you to use it in Washington. Cannabis is still illegal on the federal level and only low-THC oil is permitted in Georgia with the proper permission from the state.

Since you haven't been here very long, you should know that generally speaking, Georgia doesn't care much about how anybody else does anything in other places, and telling the police that that's not how things are done in your home state will get you nowhere. If you're caught smoking cannabis in Georgia, the penalty ranges from a citation and a fine to arrest and jail, depending on the jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.