Dunedin, FL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New York

Q: My mother died in 2001 without a will. How do I retrieve my property?

My mother died in 2001 without a will. I have two brothers, one has passed away. The property left without a will is located in Barneveld, NY. It is 5 acres. My brother who passed away was the executor of the estate. I asked him for years to give me my portion of the property or buy it from me. He refused. I have been living in Florida since my mother died. My brother's wife still lives in a home adjacent to this property. Can you help me determine how I can either sell the property, get a quit claim deed, or sell it to my sister in law? She is in her 80s now and I am not sure if she will cooperate since I have not been able to get this settled all these years. Thanks. Jolie

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Caviglia
Marco Caviglia
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lagrangeville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In NYS, if your mother died a widow and without a will, then your brother was never an executor. If he was an administrator recognized by the court there is a record of that in Surrogate's Court. If you are entitled to a share of the property in this if your mother died intestate (without a will), that share is determined by NYS law. Your brother's widow may be without power to do anything with the property. All this assumes that the title to the property was not shared with another person, such as your brother. You are really overdue in having a NYS attorney review the documents and check the Surrogate Court records to see what the status of the property really is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.