Independence, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: If served summons for past rent and u have the $ to pay off balance. Should I mail it out and get receipt from post

Post office that it was sent or should I wait til court and give the $ then ? I don't want to be evicted

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Missouri, if you've received a summons for past rent and have the means to settle the balance, it's advisable to take swift action to avoid potential eviction. Initiate communication with your landlord to discuss your intention to make the payment and resolve the matter. If possible, consider sending the payment promptly via certified mail with a return receipt to establish a record of the payment being sent and received. Alternatively, you could choose to present the payment during the scheduled court appearance, ensuring you attend the proceedings as required. Maintaining thorough documentation of all correspondence and payment records is important.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.