West Salem, WI asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: Q: In the state of WI, what does a grandparent have to prove to get guardianship of grandchild when child neglect is pre

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Wisconsin, obtaining guardianship of a grandchild due to child neglect involves demonstrating that the child's parents are unfit or unable to provide proper care and supervision due to neglect. Grandparents seeking guardianship must show that it's in the child's best interest to be under their care, establish a substantial relationship with the grandchild, and provide evidence supporting their ability to offer a stable and safe environment. Depending on the circumstances, parental consent or the termination of parental rights might be necessary. Gathering documentation such as medical and school records, along with testimonies from relevant witnesses, can help strengthen the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.