Gary, IN asked in Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: Can a police officer lie about doing you a "favor and writing the ticket so it doesn't go to the state"?

I was told this exact statement, then advised to just pay the fee online. Never occurred to me he could be wrong on purpose or just mistaken. I have points on my license now. I paid the ticket online, never imagining what I was doing was a huge mistake. Because I didn't know he was wrong/not being truthful, I wasn't able to go to court and enter in a program that would allow the points to fall off my record after a certain period of time with no other tickets.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Depending on where the case is filed you may be able to file a motion to set aside the judgement and enter into a new agreement. You need to ask yourself are the fees paid to an attorney worth the points coming off your record? or Is my insurance rates going up so if I can get the judgement set aside is worth the extra money? These are your only real options. No real way to go after the officer for what he said to you, other than writing a letter to his chief of police and complain.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.