Glen Ellyn, IL asked in Child Custody for Illinois

Q: My daughter has a custody agreement signed by judge. She follows the schedule the father has taken her wont return her

The father is uncooperative. The police at the station where the exchanges occur will not help at all. They say my daughter has to go back to court. Surly there is something we can do. Please help us

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There is something your daughter can do: She has to take the father to court and ask that he be held in contempt for not abiding by the terms of the parenting time (formerly known as custody) order. I encourage her to hire an attorney to do this for her so it gets done correctly. If the father is held in contempt the judge must order him to pay your daughter's attorney fees for this procedure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.