Fitzgerald, GA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Georgia

Q: We adopted our granddaughter recently. Does the other grandparents have right to visitation if we are against it?

We already had sole custody of our granddaughter. Do the other grandparents have standing to file for visitation? My understanding is if parents are together with the child grand parents can't ask.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Grandparents can always petition the court for visitation. Whether they get it or not will depend on what the court thinks is in the best interest of the minor child. But certainly they can file for visitation and have the adoptive parents served.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.