Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: How do I handle a speeding ticket in MN?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Contact Court Administration, to request a court appearance date. Most people want to prevent a conviction being certified by the court to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (driver's license record). So, they see if the prosecutor will agree to a disposition that will not result in conviction. If they refuse, set it for a trial in front of a judge. In the meantime, prepare for the trial. A defense attorney would be helpful, but you can fight it without one as well.

Jonathan Matthew Holson agrees with this answer

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: When dealing with a speeding ticket in Minnesota, you should start by carefully reviewing the ticket to understand the details of the alleged violation. Depending on your circumstances and whether you believe the ticket is accurate or not, you have a few options. You can choose to pay the fine, which is an admission of guilt and will result in points on your driving record. Alternatively, you can contest the ticket by pleading not guilty and appearing in court on the specified date. If you decide to contest the ticket, it's recommended to gather any evidence that supports your case. If you're found guilty in court, you'll need to follow the court's instructions on paying the fine or fulfilling any other requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.